23.6.10

Stumbling Upon Happiness



There are a few questions always brewing in my mind. Always always. If you've spoken to me for longer than 2 hours you've probably heard my 20 minute bit about altruism. The other BIG question is what makes people happy... i mean universally.

As always Daniel Gilbert pulled through and wrote a book... Stumbling Upon Happiness.

I first met Gilbert through a TED talk that blew me away. I guess what's nice about seeing someone lecture before reading their book is you get a sense of the author's voice, mannerisms, and in some aspects their personality. So I fell in love is what happened. He gave a fantastic lecture about how our psychological immune system is constantly working to make us happy. So when I saw the book I nabbed it and was done in a day or two. He was described as a mix between Malcolm Gladwell and David Sedaris by critic and I think that's a perfect description. Surely it was very informative with graphs, cited experiments, and all that good stuff, but it was also very very very funny.

I can say without a doubt that this book probably changed my life or at the very least how I think.

Summary: Chill out... be happy cuz your body wants you to be. (wow that completely strips the book bear and makes it sound useless to read but trust me very very very useful)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home